Walks around Mitchel Troy
This is a series of walks developed by The Mitchel Troy Community Group with support from Monmouthshire County Council and Mitchel Troy United Community Council.
All the walks start from Mitchel Troy Church Car Park (at SO492104) which can be reached by bus numbers 60 and 83 on the Monmouth to Newport/Abergavenny routes. Contact Traveline Cymru on 0871 200 22 33 for timetable and bus stops.
- An introduction to Mitchel Troy.
- Walk 1, Mitchel Troy Loop. This is a lovely circular walk of about three and a half miles through fields and woodland and along old country lanes, with some of the best views in Monmouthshire.
- Walk 2, Wonastow Loop. This is a pleasant circular walk of about two and a half miles with seven stiles.
- Walk 3, Lydart Loop. A short if quite steep walk up to the historic landscape of Lydart with stunning views along and across the Trothy Valley and an equally steep descent with the view in front changing with every step.
- Walk 4,Lloysey Loop. A short walk with lots of fun exercising yourself as well as the dog and taking in some wonderful views towards the Black Mountains on the way. It is suitable for buggies and pushchairs, if a little bumpy. There are no stiles.
- Walk 5, Penallt Loop. This walk is a delight in May with early spring flowers, but is also good for autumn colours and winter views. It visits Penallt Old Church and the Inn at Penallt where a pub lunch or a picnic can be enjoyed before the walk back down to Mitchel Troy. At nearly ten miles, allow five and a half hours walking time with plenty more for lunch and admiring the views