Travel to and around the area
Close to Birmingham and Bristol, straddling the England Wales border a delightful area waiting to be explored that covers parts of Gloucestershire, Herefordshire and Monmouthshire.
How to get here
Within easy access of the M4, M48, M5 and M50 motorways, as well as many other major roads.
Distances to the Wye Valley and Forest of Dean:
- Birmingham - 72miles/122km - 1 1/2 hrs
- Bristol - 33miles/54km - 1hr
- Cardiff - 43miles/70km - 1hr
- London - 140miles/226km - 3hrs
- Manchester - 156miles/252km - 3hrs
By Coach and Bus
National Express operates nationwide coach services to and from Newent, Chepstow, Gloucester, Ross-on-Wye and Monmouth. For further details, visit www.nationalexpress.co.uk or call 0871 781 8181. The National Express Disabled Persons Travel Helpline can be contacted on 0121 423 8479. A textphone is provided for customers who are deaf or hard of hearing, please call 0121 455 0086.
The closest railway stations are Abergavenny, Chepstow, Gloucester and Lydney.
Birmingham International, Bristol International and Cardiff International Airports all handle flights into the region from across the UK, Europe and the USA and are all located within a 90 minute driving distance.
For flight information:
- Birmingham Tel: 0871 222 0072 www.bhx.co.uk
- Bristol Tel: 0871 334 4444 www.bristolairport.co.uk
- Cardiff Tel: 01446 711111 www.cardiff-airport.com
Unsure how to get here - try GoEuro
Getting Around the Forest of Dean
There are a number of places locally where a bike can be hired.
- Buses in The Forest of Dean
- Buses in Monmouthsire
- Buses in Herefordshire
- Using buses in Chepstow and the Lower Wye Valley
Heritage steam and diesel services run through the Forest between Lydney, Whitecroft and Parkend. For details, call Dean Forest Railway on their 24 hour Information Line: 01594 843423 or visit: www.deanforestrailway.co.uk
Getting around the Forest of Dean by car is easy. There are car parks within the main town centres of Cinderford, Coleford, Lydney and Newent, plus there is a £3.50 daily parking fee at some of the Forestry Commission sites including Symonds Yat Rock, Beechenhurst and Mallards Pike, and the parking tickets can be transferred from site to site.
The Forestry Commission Discovery Pass, is an annual parking pass that enables you to discover, experience and enjoy more and can be purchased for £20 from the Forestry Commission, tel 01594 833057, Forest Connections, tel 01594 822612 or Pedalabikeaway, tel 01594 860065. Or visit www.forestry.gov.uk/pass and purchase on-line. There are a whole host of benefits that include:
- Free parking in Forestry Commission car parks in the Forest of Dean for a year
- 15% off cabin bookings at Forest Holidays (Excluding peak times: 25th June to 3rd September, 22nd October to 28th October and 23rd December to 5th January)
- Seasonal newsletter, packed with news, events and activities
- 20% off Go Ape! with 21 sites to choose from. (Valid Monday-Friday, in term-time excluding bank holidays)
- 2 for the price of 1 entry to Puzzlewood
These offers are being added to on a regular basis, check the website for further information!
Click here for Car Parks in the area
Dial a Ride
A registered charity providing a friendly door-to-door transport service for those people who do not have their own transport and are unable to use public transport. Call 01594 843809 or 844558. www.lydneydialaride.co.uk