Whitebrook lies on the west side of the River Wye (the Welsh side), mid-way between Monmouth and Tintern.
A fast flowing stream runs through the steep sided valley providing an important water-powered industrial base between the 17th and 19th centuries. A branch of Tintern wireworks was established here in 1606, and wire working continued to be the main industry of the valley until about 1720. By about 1760, paper mills had taken over, and much of the housing in the valley was built for millworkers around that time. Pollution from the paper mills turned the brook white giving the village its name.
Today all industry has gone although some imporant industrial archaeological sites can be seen; the remains of former mills, dams and leats. Many of the former mills have today become desirable residential proerties and the village is best known for fine dining at The Whitebrook, a Michelin starred restaurant.
There are a number of good walks in the area.