#MyMicroGap in the Wye Valley & Forest of Dean
Want to ‘get off the beaten track’ on home turf this year? Maybe go biking, learn photography or try a spot of forest bathing in ancient forests? Or, take a vineyard tour, forage for gin botanicals, paddle down an idyllic river or improve your vegan cooking skills?
All this and more are possible in the Wye Valley & Forest of Dean (@deanwyetourism) this year. This is the region where Netflix sensation Sex Education is filmed and covers the three counties of Gloucestershire, Monmouthshire and Herefordshire uniquely spanning both England and Wales.
It’s ideal territory for microgapping, if you can’t get much time off or fork out for a long holiday. Or, maybe you just have an itch to leave town and do something different.
There’s so much to see out there and it’s hard to know where to start so, we’ve made a bucket list of things we’d love to do on a microgap to give you some ideas.
With over 100 miles of pristine river (The Wye, The Usk and The Severn), the area offers some of Britain’s best canoeing, kayaking and paddleboarding and even tidal river surfing on the Severn Bore.
The Forest of Dean is one of England’s last ancient forests and a true nature’s playground with zip lining, mountain biking, and climbing too. It’s such an inspiring location and often stars on the big screens - from Harry Potter to Star Wars.
Here are ten #MyMicroGap ideas for the Wye Valley and Forest of Dean
- Sleep like a Persian and eat/drink like a King!
- Sleep in the shadow of a castle and explore nature’s larder!
- Swap the vineyards of Galicia or Martinborough for Gloucestershire and Monmouthshire
- Surf the mega Severn Bore
- Wild swimming mapped out for you
- Float on the Wye
- Forest Photography and Shinrin-Yoku breaks at Puzzlewood
- Take flight in the Forest
- Master gourmet vegan or say goodbye to Deliveroo
- Saddle up before sleeping in a vintage horsebox or caravan